About Jesus C.O.U.sins

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Is It Cheating If Your Aren't Married


As I closed my laptop and prepared to conclude the meeting between my client and I, I brought up a question in which I continue to go back and forth with. “Is it cheating if you aren’t married?”

The topic surfaced when I asked my sister for some relationship advice when I wondered if a boyfriend was cheating on me. My sister said since we weren’t married I shouldn’t expect a boyfriend to be faithful. I didn’t like her advice so I turned to the Bible, but it only addresses marriage.

My client (who happens to be a pastor) chuckled slightly and paused. I could tell he didn’t want to give me the wrong answer. He knows that I am in a relationship with a longtime boyfriend and he wanted to make sure he gave wise counsel. Finally, he saids, “Who is it that you are trying to please? Once you answer that, you have the answer to your question.”

That wasn’t the answer I was looking for. I was hoping he would answer with a “Yes or No” and give a brief reasoning behind his answer. Instead, he gave me an answer that was more like a “Karate Kid” type of ancient Chinese proverb.

Once I began to really think about his answer, it made sense.

I repeated the question to myself: “Who is it that you are trying to please? ”

The answer was obvious – God.

I love the Lord. My true loyalty is to God and what saith the Lord. When you are cheating in a relationship you are engaging in an act that is dishonest and deems you untrustworthy. Cheating requires one to be sneaky and deceitful. Both of these characteristics are ungodly. If you are trying to please God then engaging an act that is not of Christ is totally wrong.

Romans12: 9-10 says:
Marks of the True Christian
9 tLet love be genuine. uAbhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. 10 vLove one another with brotherly affection. wOutdo one another in showing honor.

So is it cheating if you aren’t married? For me, it’s cheating on my relationship with Christ. I long to please God and if my actions are dishonest then that goes against all my beliefs and values. I believe God will bless me with a husband one day, however how can I expect Him to bless me with a mate that I can’t stay devoted too?

Many people don’t take courting seriously. Some believe it doesn’t hold as much weight as a married relationship. It’s not marriage, but in any relationship you engage in – and you proclaim to be a Christian – you are to uphold the same morals and values. It is cheating if you are not married. The action of dishonesty makes it so.

Until Next Time

Related Articles :


Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Foot Work

Our new community project for the 1st Quarter will be "Foot Work" Our goal is to supply 50 pairs of new shoes for those searching or headed back to work. We want to supply comfortable working shoes and remind other C.O.U.sins to allow God to order their steps in His word. We need brand new or barely worn shoes to make this a success. Would you like to be involved? Click our volunteer button and let us know how you would like to get involved.

Evening Chats

We will be having evening chats every Wednesday and Thursday this month. Our chat room will be open for those who just want to come and chat and fellowship online with other Christians. Chat room will open at 7:00pm.

Ideas

We are looking for ideas for our second quarter community project. Please email us your ideas jesuscousin@ymail.com
 

Popular Posts

Im Jesus Cousin Copyright © 2010 Yesmam.net